Monday, September 20, 2010

Canadian Embassy Ball


On Saturday night we luckily got tickets to the Canadian Embassy Ball. The theme was Canada on Ice and we got all dressed up and piled onto a bus with a lot of the other teachers from my school. There were some people way more dressed up than I was but luckily there were also some people who were a little less fancy as well.
When we got off the bus we arrived at this very fancy hotel and when we walked in this was the chandelier that was hanging in the front entrance:



We took an elevator up a few floors and handed our tickets to two people standing at the entrance. Waiting right inside were people holding trays with glasses or champagne. There was an ice bar which was so cool. I took a picture but it does not look as nice as seeing it in person.

There was a silent auction going on and people were just walking around chatting with the other teachers and getting excited to walk into the room where dinner was going to be served. They would not let us in but every time someone opened the doors we would peak in and it looked so nice.  
The doors finally opened and we rushed in to get good seats. There were tables assigned to CIS and I got a seat next to Kim and Mark. There was a skating rink/dance floor in the middle in front of the stage where the band was playing. Yes, I said skating rink haha I saw a few young girls figure skate and some young boys came on and skated around in Canadian jerseys. I tried to take some pictures but they did not turn out that great because there were so many lights on in the room so my flash wouldn’t go off. I was pretty upset.
We had a really fancy dinner. I remember when I used to work serving at banquets (brought back some not so great memories haha) but it was nice to be other the other side getting served.



After dinner they did a draw for two top prizes and I had my fingers crossed that I would win. When we got our 4 tickets (one for Mark Aaron Kim and I) I said I wanted number 13, but when Mark handed them out he forgot and passed 13 to Aaron and I got number 12. I shrugged it off as no big deal. Sadly none of us won the two top prizes. They had a bunch of other prizes where they put the winning ticket numbers on a board at the back of the ball room. Mark and I decided to go check it out. While we were looking Mark is like look one of us won, number 12. I thought I still had number 13 for some reason but then I remember that I didn’t get it and I was like, "that’s me! I won!!!" So we go over to the table and I said that I am number 12 and she hands me an envelope. On it, it says “Pangu 7 Star Hotel Beijing 1 night in a premium Deluxe Room inclusive of two breakfasts”  I was so excited it didn’t really sink in what was on my envelope. 7 star hotel!! Wow!! I was so happy!

It turned out that Mark won a buffet for two at another hotel as well.  : )

Here is a picture of Mark and I after we won! I know mark looks very bad in this picture but my camera was dying so I was avoiding looking at the pictures after they were taking to save the battery life...but I guess that was a bad idea...sorry Mark : (




When I got home that night I checked out the website for the hotel that I won the room at:



I spent the rest of the night dancing and socializing with the other teachers!! Again most of the pictures did not turn out that great : ( but I will attach a few! I am hoping I will get sent other ones and I will attach them as I get them.




 I know these pictures are very blurry but they all look like this..so sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment